Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Ultimatum

When you threaten to
Walk out on me
Or kill, or die
Or something as drastic

I will tell you not to

But i will also
Wait and see if you will
Pause before taking
The final step out the door
if you will
Tremble before you leap
Come back
And tell me you cannot
(Not will not)
Invent a truckload of excuses

I will let you negotiate
Your own way out of it

I will wait and see
If you will confront yourself
And admit you were bluffing
And had not the courage
Or maybe got carried away
And then came to your senses

Or if you will puff yourself up
and tell me of your lofty intentions
Lying to yourself and in the process,
End up lying to me

I will see if you find
Dignity in your lows
Or if you decide to
Create a hollow persona
That you will spend
The rest of the time
Justifying

And when i threaten you my dear
Or the universe, which is more likely
I want to be very sure
That i take that final step
That i make that leap

You won't catch me trying to
Get you to bargain and plead

I will have done my soul searching,
Rest assured

No comments:

Post a Comment