Sunday, May 22, 2022

The vulgarity of love

 She

Has a life

That I don't wish upon anyone

Caring for two

Who will never be able to 

Care for themselves

And now

To watch a third

Go down the road to 

Possible ruin

And nothing she 

Or anyone can do


No, not a life that  

I would wish upon any one

And yet she lives it

With such dignity

And fortitude

Every day


I never had time to feed them 

With my own hands

She said

I just put the food in front of them

And they eat

Or they don't


And I was struck

By the memory

Of how I feed you

Sometimes singing, 

Sometimes making faces

Sometimes switching dishes

Scattering grains on your plate

Enticing you with novelties

Waiting, always, waiting

For long minutes after everyone is gone

Just so that you would eat

An extra bite


I was struck by the memory

And the question

Of what she 

And others like her

Might think

Of a life like mine

Where I have all the luxury

To feed my baby

Yes, what a great luxury it is

Only now I realise


And I was struck by

The vulgarity

Of such a display of love

To anyone

Who doesn't have it


And I wonder

At this love of mine

At whether you should get it

When so many suffer

Whether I should 

Be so happy in your company

When so many don't have

What I have


And yet, 

My primary duty

Is to you

And only to you

Who I feed with such love

Time and again every day


And what a useless comparison that is

Neither here nor there

Which does nothing but

Make me depressed


No comments:

Post a Comment