Friday, April 6, 2012

early one morning

i woke up
to a heartful of you

a whistling train it was
that woke me up
only to remind me that
we used to hear each other
even above the whistle

amidst the hustle and bustle
and pushing and quarreling
we held each other
(my messed up hair
seemed to remember)
and looked only at each other
(so thought my
early morning bleary eyes)

though i was so sure
that everyday,
for years and years
i had started my day
by unleashing my dreams upon you
and ended it 
by unburdening my woes on you
as we sat side by side
in the jerking and whistling train

search as i might
no proof could i find
that we ever rode that train

until many days later
when the ship of my search
anchored at the night before
and knew for sure
that we never rode it

like myths
that are always in the air
and you never know
where they came from,
stories
in our hearts
that you don't remember
anyone putting there,
your love turned out to be
a memory
of a moment
that never happened.

we never did ride it, after all

it was just a memory
a memory
wrought from dreams
when i had fallen asleep
with a heartful of you

No comments:

Post a Comment