Tuesday, December 17, 2013

path of least resistance


Armed with devastating cheekbones
One-of-a-kind eyebrows
Absolutely original pick-up lines
That made every lady
Feel it was for her

You went out into the world
that had disparaged you
And watched
As woman after woman
Fell weak-kneed
To your irresistible allure
And men looked up at you
In awe
All over again

None could stand your arsenal
There came the day
When you did not even need to smile
Hearts, it seemed,
Broke of their own accord
When you looked
From underneath your
Unbelievable eyelashes
(How can some non-living
strands of protein
express so much emotion?
Disdain, in particular)
and then looked away

And you continued to
Ring  up the charts
Though I cannot imagine
You not knowing
That each time you scored
I hurt as much as
The heart that would
soon be shattered

And yet,
When you came back
Remorseful
Hoping for acceptance
But doubtful of it,
I forgave you

Forgave you all the broken hearts
Forgave you all the tears
Shed only because you existed
Forgave you all the sorrows
That would never have happened
If you had not happened to those lives

Because I remembered
You all-consuming desire to win

How you would bulldoze you way out
of losing arguments
Charm your way out
of punishments
Make extravagant gestures
Just to prove yourself right
Bend over backwards, go out of the way
Just so people could find nothing to say

I watched as life flung
Failure after failure at you
Average academics
Below average pay
Frustrated extra-curriculars
Rejected romance
Other people speeding
Far, far ahead of you

And yet,
There was the desire to win
Tormenting you every night
What could you do but
Choose (What was for you)
The path of least resistance

Or rather, it chose you

I forgive you,
For I know why

I forgive you,
For who understands you story
Better than me
Who has been by your side
Just a few days shy of forever

I forgive you,
For I have known your utter misery
When you thought life had
Only failure in store

I forgive you,
For we are all selfish,
You no more than anyone else


And yet,
Why is it so hard for me 
To forgive her
Who, in her quest for
Warmth and acceptance,
Was no more selfish than you

1 comment:

  1. Ur beautiful writings
    How can some black stretches of lines
    express so much emotion?
    in vivid pockets
    like happiness in sachet
    -Ojesh

    ReplyDelete