Sunday, September 29, 2019

the girl child

Fierce warriors celebrate 
a victory in the courtyard
raising their weapons above their heads
and dancing in a circle
They were boasting about killing many people

Two men come in, 
bearing a girl high on their shoulder
A smiling, grinning girl 
They put her down 
and she started walking

Dressed in a plain orange sari and blouse 
with a light golden border
She had tied it up dhoti style between her leg 
so that she could walk easily
As if she was dressed for battle
She carried no weapons, 
but I knew she could lead a war
She was powerful, even a little bit arrogant 
in the knowledge of her own power
I instantly new that she was the kumari
 
But she was not like the demure, 
docile little girls dressed up as kumaris today
She was radiant, 
and the glow came from her power, 
the power of a little girl's sexuality, 
latent, not flowered yet, 
but holding the promise of an entire creation
She knew her powers, 
which made her awesome to behold.

She walked towards me, purposefully
Between us was a mound of ash
on one side covered in bright orange
Vermilion, I presumed. 
 
She scooped up some in her hand, 
and offered it to me
I accepted it in my hands, 
and there it a lay, 
a miniature of what was on the ground
A mound of ash 
covered with vermilion on one side

The realisation that 
this was not a little girl 
but a grown woman in a little girl's body
The ashes, of Shivaji
and Kumari, an incarnation of Durga, 
it all fit together
 
She was Shakti, 
in the human form of kumari
She was the entire feminine energies 
of the universe who gave me a prasad.

If I do not believe in god
and shakti or kumari, 
how do I take it, 
as an atheist person?
 
Kumari, a symbol of 
latent feminine energies
and Shakti, the entire 
feminine energies of the universe
gave me a prasad
Bright vermilion over ashes
 
A new life full of feminine energies 
over the ashes of an old one
 
It is time, she said. 
to awaken your 
feminine energies again

No comments:

Post a Comment