Wednesday, October 9, 2019

backdated

I wonder who was
your best friend growing up
Who was your first crush
and who you confided in about her
Who you would go to
If you got in trouble
And how would they rescue you

I wonder who holds the
treasure troves of your secrets
Did you ever write a diary
Or a bunch of love letters
and hand the over to someone
for safekeeping

Who were the people basking
in the sunshine of your presence

As you wove the threads of your
imaginative stories
who did you tell them to
and whose novel perspectives
did you like enough
to incorporrate into your tales
which character looks and sounds
like the people in your life?

I wonder all of this
and grow jealous
of anecdotes I will never understand
Jokes I will not find funny
People I will not recognize
Voids I will never fill
Stories that will never be told to me
Because I was not there at the right time
Sides of you that will now
never see the light of the day
and will always remain
a mystery to me

No comments:

Post a Comment